Sarah had seen this mobile that she liked, and we decided to do our own modified version of it. We really like the whole mid-century vibe, so the atomic ball thing seemed like a great idea. A continuous thanks to everyone in Raleigh who keeps tearing down the few mid-century houses in town to put up your McMansion!
So here was the actual inspiration, from her Pinterest board. Whatever that is.
The supplies were surprisingly cheap:
- a 2.5" diameter wood ball for the center
- four 36" long x 3/16" diameter rods
- (1) pack of (18) 1/2" diameter balls for the ends
- wood glue
- fishing wire
Sarah marked spots on the center ball where I was going to drill holes for the rods to come out. I had also purchased a 1/4" bolt to attach the ball to a scrap piece of wood to hold it in place while I drilled these holes.
|Look closely and you can see her marks, which she assures me are not "willy nilly."|
And then I drilled in pilot holes about 1/4"-1/2" deep.
|One hole down.|
While I did this (and clearly, after she'd taken the above pictures), Sarah was marking the rods into random lengths for me to cut next.
|Also, apparently, not willy nilly lengths.|
Then I just wood glued them into the previously mentioned holes.
|Check out the socks, hitched up due to the insane amount of mosquitoes outside.|
Structure complete! (For reference, all of this took about 45 minutes in total. Including pee breaks. Three, to be specific.)
While I was out somewhere, probably playing a show or working out if it was a weekend, Sarah took over. She ripped out pages from what appears to be a Victoria's Secret catalog to work inside, because it was July in NC and that means it was hot and really muggy and she is retaining water "like a friggin' camel" (her words, not mine). First she glued the smaller wooden balls to the ends of the rods.
|Maybe it was a Coldwater Creek catalog? That's definitely not something I should know about at all.|
|Rods were taped off at the end so as to make painting the colors way easier.|
|All end balls painted.|
|Had this on hand, too. B/c my wife is a craft hoarder.|
And all that was left to do was hang it! This took several weeks, because we had to do stuff like get the crib in place and continue living our fairly busy lives. I do realize the irony of calling our lives busy when our kid isn't even here yet. But as many of you know, we had not one, but two plumbing incidents (one semi-major) in the house that took priority over the mobile.
We wanted it centered on the door as you walk in, and over the crib, so while I stood on a chair, Sarah told me where to screw the hook into the ceiling. I had already attached some 40lb test fishing line to this hook. After cutting the fishing line to a workable length, we got the mobile to a good height and I tied about 50 knots to hold it in place.
And that was it! Our awesome
|He'll be so impressed.|